With angelic host proclaim Christ is born in Bethlehem!

In today’s gospel we are reminded of the Christmas narrative, the annunciation to the Blessed Virgin Mary. This story has been heard many times during advent, but to hear a Christmas narration during lent reminds us of how we can also prepare for the season of Easter. The Christmas narrative can be a strong example of how we look for the true ministry of Christ within ourselves. It is a reflection of the calling that was made to His’ mother Mary, and how she would be the pillar for her newborn son.

Another part of this story that I sometimes overlook is that of the Angel Gabriel. I can easily look to the Blessed Mother and try to interpret her story and place myself in her place. Yet I find it fascinating that God selects a messenger for this great news; the angel of the Lord will and has delivered some of the most important mandates to key figures in the Church. The more that I think about the Angel Gabriel, the more I start to wonder, “what if God gave me a message to share with others?” “How would I respond to His favor?” “Would I hesitate at the fact I am being chosen for a special calling; would I have doubt?” or “Would I be willing to take His banner and deliver the messages He wishes?”

The words that the Angel Gabriel speaks in today’s gospel are important for our lenten guidance and to help prepare for Christ. For instance “Hail Favored One, The Lord is with you!” is a true line of compassion and one that brings peace from a celestial body that perhaps would bring fear if appeared today. Mary must have been frightened at the sight of this heavenly body, and the Angel Gabriel responds with words that still resonate with me from a kid to adult, “Do not be afraid, Mary, for you have found favor with God”.

These words ring with me from the first time I truly studied the passage at St. Mary of Carmel, to an adult now. I can remember Sister Sheila reading to us and teaching us the importance of angels. She went on to teach me and my class, a prayer that I still recite: “Angel of God, My guardian Dear, To whom God's love commits me here, Ever this day be at my Side, To light and guard, To rule and guide”.

She taught me that my Angel would always be with me, and that I should never fear because in the darkness I would always have a shining light and a defender of God with me. As a child I would picture the most beautiful celestial figure, and that the Angel would never leave my sight, and ready to defend me when in danger. As an adult I see angels in a different light, when I think of angels I think of the people around me; I consider the people who are nearest and dearest to me. I begin to think how I can also be like my own guardian angel for other people.

Just like Angel Gabriel had a special message to deliver the good news of God, we too can be like the messenger of God, and all His other special angels. God would send angels to those in need, to those who had a special mission for Him, for those who needed to find Him. And when we do have doubt, when there is despair in our hearts, if there is fear in our lives, let us remind ourselves of the special words from the Angel Gabriel that gave solace to our blessed mother, “For nothing will be impossible with God”. We can channel that same energy of Gabriel and bring love to others and continue to prepare for Holy Week and the Passion of Christ, and ultimately look forward to the risen Christ at Easter. May our angels always be with us and guide us to being the best for ourselves and others. I am thankful for those that came before me, but also look to see how I can be an earthly manifestation of angels everyday.

Author: Raul Ornelas, Sophomore Counselor

(image cred: Kyle Cleveland on Unsplash)

Comments

Popular Posts