More Questions than Answers

The Gospel passage in today’s reading transports us to the familiar scene of the Last Supper. As the significant events leading up to the betrayal of Christ unfold in this passage, I feel particularly connected to Simon Peter. Peter is able to recognize that something significant is about to happen, so he attempts to find out more about what is being foreshadowed and how it will affect him. He questions Jesus by asking, “Who?” “Where?” “Why?”. However, Jesus’ responses to Peter’s questions do not seem to offer him the clarity that he seeks. Rather, they lead to more questions.

How many times in the past year have I questioned God in a similar way? A lot. More than ever before. In preparation for this post, I jotted down some of the questions that I asked God over the past year and reflected on them. The list is long and scattered. There are personal questions and professional questions, selfish questions and desperate questions, big questions and insignificant questions. Some of the questions have been answered. Some of them have not. Some of the questions I ask ever singe day. Some of them lead to more questions. And, every day I ask more questions that I could add to my list. But, the story doesn’t stop there.

The passage ends with the promise of Simon Peter’s denial. While this is a grim promise, I am able to find hope in it. The promise shows that Jesus knows what is to come. The questions are not without answers, the apostles are just have not received them yet. With the trials and questions, there is also plan.

This passage was a clear reminder that I cannot know the all the answers, but I can trust that God does.

Author: Sara Krusekopf, Mathematics Department

Comments

Popular Posts