Jesus as the Ultimate Standard

As a biology and genetics major in college, I spent a lot my mental energy and causal conversations with students, friends, and colleagues focused on the perceived tension between religious dogma and the practice of science. I was raised in the Catholic Church, attended Jesuit, and still wear my Junior Cross around my neck. Yet, as a young college student, my faith had never really been tested nor had I really ever reflected that deeply about why I "believe." Then college and grad school came, along with a deeper understanding of science and tough questions from my friends and professors in science about the question of why. Fellow scientists would see my cross or find out that I am Catholic and it would lead to lots of questions...Why, as a scientist who understands the laws of physics and evolution would you ever believe in any of this religious dogma? Why would you believe in a man claiming to be the Son of God that supposedly broke the laws of physics with miracles and raising from the dead? How can you take the Bible seriously when we know what we know now? This absolutely led me to a crisis of Faith and what I realized is that, in reality, I had to answer what I believe are the hardest questions for humans to answer in this life:

Why does existence exist?
Why do I have this unexplainable longing for this unexplainable something?
Who am I and what am I supposed to be doing here?

While I am still working on my "final answers " to these questions, the Gospel from John today reminded me of my personal response to these sorts of deep, personal questions that we all face. God, for me is the logical answer to these questions. Specifically, Jesus helps me to answer that third question on what I am supposed to be doing here. As a scientist (and teacher) I appreciate the need for a standard of measurement to compare and make a conclusion. For me, the Gospels have given us the standard for how we are to live a life of meaning, love, and significance. That standard we should all strive for is Jesus. A great example is given in today's gospel where Jesus shows us how we are to treat others around us even in the face of death and suffering, even in the face of betrayal, and even in the face of knowing your closest friends did not have your back. Here, Jesus teaches us the response to adversity or suffering is to love and serve those around us. I think about how hard it is to love and serve those around me especially when I am stressed or feel wronged. And I know the response of turning inward, feeling sorry for myself, and lashing out only exacerbates the problems. However, when I try to do what Jesus shows us in today's Gospel... To turn outward, to love and minister to those around you, the outcome has always been better. This is the "data" I have for why faith? For why believe? Time and again Jesus's model has shown me the right way to live.

Author: Todd Gruninger, Science Department


Comments

Popular Posts