God, also my buddy

“Return to the Lord your God, for he is gracious and merciful, slow to anger, and abounding in steadfast love; and he relents over disaster" (Joel 2:13)

Today’s readings focus on God calling His people back to Himself. My relationship with God often reminds me of my relationship with my parents. God is a father, a friend, and a confidant, much like my parents are to me.

I remember my childhood days of playing outside with my siblings and attending sporting events every weekend. We spent countless hours together, as a family, building relationships with one another. When we were kids, my mom would park the car, unbuckle, and turn around and tell us to get out of the car and stay close. She was always keeping us safe and making sure we were never lost or far from her. As I have grown older, the same sentiment of staying close has rung true. Instead of close in proximity, it is a closeness in relationship. I call my parents at least once a week. My mom and I talk about everything - that lady is my best pal. She knows about every date I go on, what I am having for dinner, and what stains need to come out of my laundry. My dad is my financial advisor, hunting buddy, level- headed advice giver, and friend. My parents are my buddies and I love that the relationship we have built. Yet, these are the same parents that put soap in my mouth for sassing and punished me as a child. As I wandered as a kid, my parents called my name to bring me back. As I wander as an adult and don’t call my parents often enough, I get a voicemail asking if I am alive.

Just like my parents, the Lord is my friend. God knows the dates, the heartbreaks, the annoying roommates, the highest highs, and the lowest lows. He calls me out when I am wandering. He gently reminds me that I can return to Him, for He is gracious and merciful. He is not a distant God. He wants a relationship with me, just like my parents want a relationship with me. There have been many times in my adult life where it feels like my world is falling apart and it has been easy to blame God for all of the failures to my plan. But in reality, I find myself taking steps away and wandering from the relationship. This verse is a reminder that even in my retreating steps, He wants me back and He is victorious and sovereign over the parts of my life that feel like they are falling apart.

I have been reflecting upon the following questions:
  • What would it be like to treat my relationship with God like the relationship I have with my parents?
  • What does it sound like for The Lord to call me back to himself?
  • Do I believe that God is for me?
Author: Bailey Clark, Science Department

Comments

Popular Posts