Hope on Bare Heights

“Along the ways they shall find pasture, on every bare height shall their pastures be. They shall not hunger or thirst, nor shall the scorching wind or the sun strike them; For He who pities them leads them and guides them beside springs of water.” Isaiah 49: 9b-10

A few summers ago, my husband and I rode a gondola to the top of Whistlers Peak in Jasper, Canada (pictured here). I remember being disappointed with how rocky and barren the mountain was once arriving at the top, although the view was beautiful. This biome, known as the alpine tundra, is characterized by harsh winds, rocky terrain, and little vegetation. This passage from Isaiah reminded me of the desolate landscape on that mountaintop, and how God provides for us even amidst the “bare heights” during our lives.

When looking back over the last two years, I can identify that I have felt I was on a “bare height.” After having our third child in May of 2020, starting a new job at Jesuit in August 2020, selling our house/buying a new one, and making it through the height of the pandemic and the baby/toddler years, I am finally venturing into a new landscape. Wherever God brings us, we can count on the fact that he will be right there beside us, making sure that we lack nothing to accomplish His will. If we are under God’s gracious guidance, he will lead us to respite, peace and provision. I have seen that provision in my own life over the past two years. Whatever feels impossible is meant to draw us to fall upon His unchanging character; it’s meant to free us…to trust Him to hold all things together.

So when I’m in a season that feels hard, I’ll remember these truths:

  • No matter what my circumstance or my season is, I know this: God remains the same. He is the only constant I need.
  • My past struggles have developed my character. What is God refining in me now? Focusing on this helps me see great purpose in this place.
  • My peace doesn’t rest in the “why” behind the plans for my life; my peace is found in the “who” that determines my plans. He is trustworthy.
  • When life changes, our trust is tested. Do we really believe He is who He says He is? This becomes the avenue to walk out our faith.
Author: Anna Hjertstedt, School Nurse

Comments

Popular Posts