Lost Opportunities

"They rose up, drove him out of the town; 
but he passed through the midst of them and went away." (Lk 4)

We need to get the chicken. At least the rotisserie chicken stand is a quick five-minute walk from the center. I have the order number. Or, perhaps I misplaced it while loading the car. I am rushing. Lunch is served promptly each day at 1:15pm. People are waiting. Why hadn't I placed the order earlier?

Not enough time to listen. Not in the space to be "aware," the task at hand is too important... too important to take notice of the person standing directly in front of me.

He was a man of about my own age from Nicaragua, smiling from ear to ear. Although thin and obviously malnourished, he was patiently waiting in line to receive his plate while allowing the older, more fragile men, women, and children to pass him. I don't know his name. I didn't make the space to pause and ask. He had seemed eager to have a conversation with us, to connect for a moment, to share his story, to be vulnerable.

This Lenten Season, I have become more aware of the lost opportunities to step physically and emotionally into God's presence.

Caught up in the details of the moment and the tasks at hand, had I completely lost an opportunity to experience Christ's love? or a story of courage over fear? of love, strength, and perseverance? 

Was this a lost opportunity? Perhaps not. Surely not. I am convinced that Christ will return again in the moments when I remember to be present and to draw my attention to the person in front of me, to put the chicken and fixings aside for two minutes, to smile back, to say hello, and to find space to sit and enjoy the meal together.

Lord, return to me in the moments of challenge, 
the moments when I am "too busy," 
the moments when I am distracted. 
 Holy Spirit, prepare me to be ready for your presence 
in a more meaningful way. Amen.

Author: Rich Perry, Director of Community Service

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts