From the Rearview Mirror

Life is full of setbacks. Most are small but some are big, and if you live long enough-- 25 years in my case-- you're sure to get your share. Setbacks are almost always unexpected, and they almost always result in some sort of disappointment, disruption or destruction (sometimes all three). I had a big one last fall, so today's message from Isaiah seems written for me:

"Remember not the events of the past, the things of long ago consider not; see, I am doing something new."

I was in my third year of working at Jesuit. I loved my job and had a blast giving tours, promoting the school, and having kids hang out in my office. I was in my second year of grad school, working on a masters in counseling and connecting with others in the field. I had just signed a lease on an apartment in Uptown with a couple of Jesuit buddies. Life was good... until I had a major setback driving home from a Longhorn football game in October .

I'm not a 'woe is me' kind of guy, but during my nearly month-long hospital stay, I sure had doubts about what possible good could come from so much pain and disability. I had five broken ribs, a dislocated shoulder, and nerve damage in my leg. The car was totaled and the guy who slammed into me didn't even have insurance. I returned to Dallas in a wheelchair, couldn't go back to the job I love and had to let the apartment go. OK, so maybe I did have moments of 'woe is me.'

Although this felt like a big setback at the time, I decided not to let it define me. The accident now seems like an "event of the past," and "I am doing something new." After a lot of hard rehab work and help from family and friends (including Jesuit staff... shout out to Tim Host!), I'm finally feeling almost new. I'm getting around mostly without a cane and have moved into my own apartment. I was even able to jump back into my job during admissions 'crunch time.' It’s times like these that I can confidently say that God really has been looking out for me, as he was able to give me a new lease on life.

Author: Patrick O'Malley, Admissions Officer

Comments

Popular Posts