Pharisee or Tax Collector

“For everyone who exalts himself, will be humbled”


One of the practices that Ignatius suggests we include in our prayers and meditations is a “colloquy” which he describes as a conversation between us and God, Jesus, Mary, or one of the saints. I have been trying to incorporate this practice more into my morning prayer time and I decided to use it with my prayer and reflection over today’s Gospel. When I first began this colloquy with Jesus over this Parable about the Pharisee and tax collector, I was like, "Jesus, this teaching, I have down!” He and I immediately laughed at the irony of me saying that I am not self-righteous and have the act of being humble, “down.” The rest of the conversation focused on the situations and times I am like the tax collector vs. the Pharisee. I assume many of us would rather see ourselves as the tax collector as it can be more challenging and difficult to admit the times we are more like the Pharisee. Personally, I often find myself acting as the Pharisee amongst my family, friends, and at work. It is much easier for me to look at others and judge how they are doing something imperfectly or “not the way I would do it.” Jesus used this scripture and conversation to help remind me to first focus on my own actions, to remember that I struggle to lead and to manage all my responsibilities. I needed to hear this today. I think Jesus was calling me out on my actions and attitudes...where I can get stuck thinking I am so righteous and the others around me are less. I am a sinner that needs mercy just like everyone else. I make dumb mistakes, I have things where I am not at my best, I make poor choices, I am blinded by greed, ego, fear, etc, too. This was a good reminder of the grace and areas I need to continue to work on in order to be the man, colleague, father, and husband I want to be, and the agency of choice God the Father has blessed me with.

Author: Todd Gruninger, Science Department 

Comments

Popular Posts