Faith and Courage

When I read today’s gospel, my initial reaction centered on the literal story. I focused most on the miracle. Jesus healing a blind man - “He put clay on my eyes, and I washed, and now I can see." I acknowledge that the words of the gospel, for me, offer deeper meaning, one that didn’t hit me the first go around. I read the gospel a second time after a cup of coffee. I don’t credit the caffeine, but I saw something new. I read a story of faith and courage. I began to reflect on the daily moments we need both.

Often, as I work with kids, I try to get them to see the bigger picture. As an adolescent works through a complex struggle or simple frustration at school, I listen in my office to what a student sees. Often, I find his vision short sided. I hear his blinders covering up alternatives. He only sees the storms. He may be operating from a narrow lens that prohibits him from expanding his point of view. When he can’t see clearly, he lacks confidence. He lacks courage. Sometimes, he lacks faith. Anyone who has coached a team or led a group of students has more than likely worked with that kid who “just doesn’t get it yet.” It is our job, as educators, to help him to operate with faith and courage. Help him recognize the blind spots. He’s not blind because he’s bad. He’s blind because he’s human.

I read the gospel again. I had a second cup of coffee. Now, I started to look at my own blind spots. Just as the young men with whom I work need guidance, I may need it more. I’m further along in this life’s journey. Yet, I still get blinded. I may lack faith and courage at times. I have very cloudy vision some days. Like a pilot battling dark skies, I need help from God’s tower to fly the plane. I can’t fly alone. I may think some days I can, but how blind I can be from that mode of operation. I will experience days when faith and courage are hard to come by. I’m not blind because I’m bad, I’m blind because I’m human. My takeaway is to trust God as air traffic control.

My reflection:
  • When I’m working through a tough situation in my life, whether it be work or personal struggle, am I keeping my eyes on the bigger picture? 
  • Am I trying to see alone or do I embrace God’s call to help? 
  • Do I accept the grace of God who offers faith and courage? 
In today’s Psalm, God’s lens is clear:

He guides me in right paths
for his name's sake.
Even though I walk in the dark valley
I fear no evil; for you are at my side

With your rod and your staff
that give me courage.

Author: Mark Knize, Administration

Comments

Popular Posts