Letting Things Go

During this Lenten season, we prepare for the sorrow of Jesus’ passion and the joy of his resurrection. We pray for the grace of letting go of sorrow and for faith to sustain us through the darkest of nights. Just as the transfiguration of Jesus shone a light as bright as the sun on Peter, James, and John, we trust that the sun will rise tomorrow and God’s grace will illuminate us.

In Luke’s Gospel, Jesus says to his disciples, “Stop judging, and you will not be judged…forgive, and you will be forgiven.” During Lent, I often think of Mary. Although portrayed as meek and mild during Advent, Lent shows us a mother with unbelievable resilience, grit, and determination. She walks with her child through a period of turmoil and change, bearing witness to the judgment of others, betrayal, and violence.

Although unable to hear her voice, we can see a mother who is willing not to judge but instead forgives and seeks compassion and who, with incredible heartbreak, allows her son to die to save others. I believe that Mary is the epitome of all that Jesus seeks to explain to his disciples and us in Luke’s Gospel.

I have thought deeply about my Lent sacrifice this year and adopted the phrase and the corresponding actions to “Let things go.”

This Lent, I’ll let go of struggle, stress, sorrow, shame, self-pity, resistance, resentment, pessimism, perfectionism…

The song titled I Let Go; captures the essence of Jesus’ message for us and his example during the days leading up to his crucifixion. I heard the call on my heart to Let it goes, and I found a new peace leading me to make better decisions from the goodness that is my true nature.

There was a time in my life
I thought I had to do it all myself.
I didn’t know the grace
Of God was sufficient
Didn't know the love of God
Was at hand.
If you are discouraged
Struggling just to make it
Through another day,
You’ve got to let it go,
And this is what you have to say:
I release, and I let go,
I let the Spirit run my life,
And my heart is open wide.
No more struggle,
No more strife
With my faith, I see the light.
I am free in the Spirit
Yes, I’m only here for God.

The simple psalm response, “LORD, let your mercy be on us, as we place our trust in you,” asks us to have faith. I recall St. Ignatius’ Suscipe prayer, where we are asked to surrender and return all that we have and all that we are to the Lord, trusting that all we need is his love and grace. Just as St. Ignatius left his sword before Our Lady of Montserrat, I ask myself and you, are we ready to Let things go?

Author: Yanexi Perez, Language Department

Comments

Popular Posts