The Bigger Picture

I eagerly took two Life Packs when the email was sent from the Community Service office stating that they were available. Life Packs are a gallon sized Ziplock bag filled with small items that are intended to bring comfort to a person experiencing homelessness: a hat, a pair of socks, a beef stick, $5 McDonald gift card, a water bottle, and a granola bar. But to my children riding in the car, that bag contained hope. Hope that what they share with the person they encounter symbolizes someone cares about them and hopes that they will stay warm tonight, have a meal today, and, most of all, feel loved.

In contrast, in today’s reading, the brothers of Joseph act only according to their emotions of jealously and power. They consider death or entrapment of their brother as the way to clear the path for them. In the end, their action of selling their brother for twenty pieces of silver was justifiable in their eyes. They lost sight of the bigger picture. They were too connected to material things, such as power, greed, and popularity and stopped thinking about people. When you lose focus of what’s important, which is people and our relationship with God, you let the here and now of the world get in the way of your bigger picture. The bigger picture is your relationship with God and the love, community, and belonging that comes along with that.

As we finish up the second week of Lent, we continue our path of spiritual growth through prayer, we make efforts to remove distractions, and we strive to serve others. Let us remind ourselves of the bigger picture and recognize God’s presence all around us. I will challenge myself to take a step back to focus on what’s important through God’s perspective and not just my own perspective. I will see God in the eyes of the person experiencing homelessness who is thankful for the Life Pack that was handed to them. I will see God in everyday activities, such as talking to a family member or friend. I will see God throughout the community as I recognize the blessings around me. And I will see God as I walk with him on this glorious journey to the celebration of Easter.

Dorrie Andrews, Campus Ministry Department

Comments

Popular Posts