My Heart, Your Home

In today’s Gospel, we see Jesus speaking with a group of Jews “who had believed in him” (8:31). According to the previous verses, many among Jesus’ Jewish audience had come to believe in him, but 8:31 and the conversation that follows indicates that their belief was short-lived. Jesus uses their example of lapsed faith to assert that true disciples “remain in my word.” The Greek word for remain in this passage is menein which means to abide, rest, stay or dwell. It is menein- to dwell in Christ’s word, as a man does at home, that will keep us in line with His truth. To stay and dwell somewhere is the complete opposite of a transient lifestyle. We are not to occasionally be in God’s Word as if going camping and setting up a tent temporarily, but rather, we are to make his Word have a permanent home in our hearts.

When we are setting up a home, we put a lot of thought and care into the process. In 2020, my husband and I purchased a home built in 1980. Everything in the house was the “original”, from the wood-paneled living room, to the cultured marble countertops and wallpapered bathrooms. We have spent countless hours researching and working on updating our house to make it a more comfortable and welcoming home. In the same way, we should put lots of care and effort into making our hearts a home for Christ to dwell. Even back in Deuteronomy, God had commanded his people to keep His words close to their hearts:

Take to heart these words which I command you today. Keep repeating them to your children. Recite them when you are at home and when you are away, when you lie down and when you get up. Bind them on your arm as a sign and let them be as a pendant on your forehead. Write them on the doorposts of your houses and on your gates.” Deut 6:6-9

If we do seek out God’s word in our lives, the scripture goes on to tell us that we will know the truth. What a wonderful promise of God to us!

Join me in considering:
  • God gave us is Word to encourage and teach us. Am I reaping the benefits of a life spent dwelling in his Word?
  • Do I put the same amount of devotion into studying God’s Word as I do in researching my next home project?
  • Am I talking to students here at Jesuit, my family at home, coworkers and friends about the truths in God’s word?
Author: Anna Hjertstedt, Nurse

Comments

Popular Posts