What does it mean to love an enemy?

In today’s Gospel, we are called to love our enemies. I think that “enemies” can feel particularly abstract in a modern world where I am lucky enough to live a safe life. I’m not fighting off intruders or Who really is my enemy? The guy who merged aggressively onto the tollway? A student who I am struggling to develop a positive relationship with? Someone I used to be friends with? Someone at the lunch table who annoys me? Perhaps even myself on a bad day?

What does it mean to love an enemy? Jesus is urging us to a profound level of compassion, going so far as to ask for perfection. I think one of the most significant things we can do to love our enemy is to assume good intentions. I was talking with some seniors in the science commons recently about this, the notion that everyone sees themselves as the “good guy” - or at least the protagonist of their own story - and the challenge that presents for realizing our own shortcomings. I don’t know the origin of my enemy’s story, nor do I know the ending. I think a good starting place for loving your enemy is acknowledging this. Even in our most intimate relationships we never really know everything about each other and that can feel scary at times. Loving someone often involves a lot of trust, a form of optimism which assumes the person will do the right thing.Therefore, loving your enemy is ultimately an act of hope in what feels like a hopeless situation…and isn’t that the point of Easter?

Author: Liz Grindinger, Science Department

Comments

Popular Posts