Worry about the things that you can control

At first glance, in today's Gospel, Jesus presents what seems a transactional account of behavior: you get what you give. I’m wary of a faith that relies on a transaction or any sense that God “owes” me anything. Or even more treacherous, the prosperity gospel teaching that you will gain riches by giving more.

I prefer to read this as a faith that asks you to control the things you can control and behave in the way one ought to behave. Only I can stop judging and condemning. Only I can forgive and give. While the rest of the world can react to my behavior and even God take notice, I am responsible for the things I ought to do. As the stoic Epictetus said: “first say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do.” Everything relies on your first step and only you can control that.

More so than a reward, is it not more likely that when you stop judging no one would even find reason to judge you? Or that when you forgive you are likely to be a person why does not do things that even need forgiveness? And that when you give of yourself without counting the costs, you will receive the gift of knowing that you do God’s work. 

Author: Mark Batik, Director of Educational Technology

Comments

Popular Posts