In My Distress, I Called Upon the Lord

In my distress I called upon the Lord, and he heard my voice.

The month of March offers pleasant and stormy weather, chaotic basketball brackets, and spring break sandwiched between critical responsibilities.  You never know what may be around the corner.

I spent that latter part of my spring break visiting a loved one in the hospital.  It was an unplanned, unexpected interruption to a relaxing Wednesday night.  For the next three days, I was in and out of the building, running errands, comforting family, and talking to doctors.  Although all turned out promising prognosis, on these visits, I confronted many enemies: illness, discomfort, stress, and anxiety to name a few.  

I took a break one morning to lap the hospital hallways, just to get a breath.  Straight ahead, I discovered a chapel. The quiet atmosphere of the space invited a small moment of comfort.  Suddenly, the beeps of the machines seemed distant.  The nurses coming through the door unannounced ceased.  I could only hear a voice in the silence of prayer.  It was a comforting  voice, one that said “you are not in control.”  One that said, “trust me.”

Experiencing struggles, both the expected and the unpredictable, are part of life.  Like the month of March Madness, our hearts may be pulled in various directions.  A heart that experiences discomfort or hurt at times is a heart that loves. Today’s readings reminded me of those sentiments.   

When reading today’s Responsorial Psalm, images of struggle initially entered my thoughts.  Then, like my walk to the hospital chapel, I let myself be silent for a moment.  I am reminded that during this season of Lent, we are not alone in our struggles, our fears, or our anxieties. 

 

“In my distress I call upon the LORD” - so I read these words this morning, so I pray these words today, so I must live these words moving forward.  


Author: Mark Knize, Administration

Comments

Popular Posts