An Act of Vulnerability, Acceptance, and Love

My first thought upon seeing that I was assigned Holy Thursday was, oh no! The desire to do well for Holy Week filled me with fear. Later my thought was it’s just the foot washing this isn’t that big of a deal. Jesus washes feet, sets the example, let us all be servant leaders, HUZZAH!

But, let me backtrack some for context. Monday’s gospel Judas asks, “Why was this oil not sold for three hundred days’ wages and given to the poor?” The following line gives us the true intention behind Judas’ question. Clearly he is about personal gain and uses Jesus’ message to mask the greed behind his intention. Unfortunately, it is not a stretch to see Judas as someone, ‘looking out for themselves,’ in case this movement doesn’t work out. Further, without knowing Judas’ true intentions it can appear that Judas is attempting to do good by helping the poor.  Monday’s gospel ends with a large crowd to see Jesus and Lazarus. Underlying message, we are  good as a result of what we do

Tuesday, we see in the beginning of the gospel Judas and the chief priests negotiating the value of humanity. Thirty pieces of silver was the price Judas agreed to in order to hand over Jesus. Yes, there are a lot of directions to take in thinking about this transaction. My focus is that Judas has now a tangible gain in the pieces of silver. Despite how little thirty pieces of silver may, or may not be, it is clear that Judas here, coupled with Monday’s gospel, values worldly gain.

At the end of the gospel while eating, Jesus says, “Amen, I say to you, one of you will betray me.” At the very end Judas and Jesus speaking to each other say, “Surely it is not I, Rabbi? [Jesus] answered, ‘you have said so.’”

At this point I’m going to have my “the curtains are blue,” moment with the phrase, “you have said so.” There are hints of hesitation and a realization on Judas’ part upon hearing Jesus’ response. Hesitation since the response comes after Jesus reveals who will betray him, and I imagine a realization on Judas’ part that he’s going to follow through in handing over Jesus. Identity is the point here. Judas’ struggle with being the betrayer and claiming that identity for himself, rather than Jesus giving that identity, since the only identity that Jesus gives anyone is the beloved. In other words, do we see ourselves as the beloved or what others say we are?

Today, Thursday, there are two Gospel readings, one the Holy Thursday - Chrism Mass, and Holy Thursday - Evening Mass of the Lord’s Supper. The reading for the Chrism Mass we are reminded of Jesus’ beginnings in Nazareth where he reads the following from the prophet Isaiah.

The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he has anointed me to bring glad tidings to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim liberty to captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free, and to proclaim a year acceptable to the Lord.

Imagine this as a “mic drop”—when Jesus finishes with—“Today this Scripture passage is fulfilled in your hearing.” Judas’ narrative is noteworthy, not because Judas betrays Jesus, but instead he violates God’s intended order and places his value as a person, his dignity, and his worth in worldly things, “thirty pieces of silver”—or in the words of Henri Nouwen, “I am what I do, I am what I have, and I am what people say that I am.”

In reading Isaiah, Jesus is directly proclaiming his identity in direct contrast to Judas’. “The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he has anointed me,” I am the Christos! “To bring tidings to the poor,” I am what I have! “To proclaim liberty to captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free,” I am what I do! “To proclaim a year acceptable to the Lord,” I am what people say about me! Finally, “today this Scripture passage is fulfilled in your hearing,” you are the beloved!

It is in this context where the act of washing the disciples’ feet is not a statement of service. Rather it’s an act of vulnerability, of acceptance and love. It’s an act that says you are not what you do, what you have, or what people say you are. It is a statement proclaiming the disciples, and our, identity as the beloved.

Author: Jude Harrington, Theology Department

Comments

Popular Posts