Hope/Action

After finishing today’s readings, I had two opposite thoughts. The first was one of guilt, remorse, sadness that Christ “the perfect lamb” had to suffer and die in such a way that I could have forgiveness of my sins. The second was one of relief, happiness, gratitude that I have a God that loves me so that I now have hope. In first Peter 1:3 we read “praise be to God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, in His great mercy He has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead.”

Not so long ago I was doing some research on the concept of hope. It was during this research that I came upon this quote: “Hope without action is not hope.” Our hope is in Christ! What action am I taking? In Galatians 6:7-8 we have an answer: “Do not be deceived, God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows, to please the flesh, from the flesh he will reap destruction; whoever sows to please the Spirit, from the Spirit will reap eternal life.

I count it a huge blessing that I get to work here at Jesuit. Every day I have opportunity to make a difference in people’s lives. And, in turn, these very same people are making a difference in my life.

The aim of Jesuit education is the formation of principled value-oriented persons for others, after the example of Jesus Christ. As a servant leader here at Jesuit, I have the opportunity (purpose) to form young men, to guide young men, to be an example to young men unto a greater understanding of brotherhood, men for others, community. In doing so I give the students purpose and hope of a better tomorrow for all people. Whatever happens, we are to have purpose and confidence that we are important for we are important to God. As such we should be important to each other. In John 15:13 we read: “Greater love has no one than this that he lay down his life for his friends.”

As we see by today’s readings this pathway of love is not easy. In the prayer for Generosity we see that we are to give and not count the cost, to fight and not to heed the wounds, to labor and not to ask for reward, save of knowing that we do the will of God. (Love thy neighbor as thyself)

Let us go forth every day giving of ourselves and our means and make every day a “Good Friday” bringing hope to all.

Author: Charlie DeLong, Athletics Department

Comments

Popular Posts