What sacrifices do I need to make?

Every day it seems, I see ads, hear commercials, and am promised with the idea of finding solutions to all of my problems, all too often with quick and easy ways of doing things. The payoff promises to be great, with no real sacrifice on my end.

Perhaps it is an investment plan that promises quick financial growth with little effort on my part.

Maybe there is a drink I can take each morning that promises amazing physical changes with little to no exercise needed.

And undoubtedly, I can find the solutions to all of my frustrations as a parent in a 30 minute podcast.

Of course, when these quick solutions do not work, I find myself just as stressed and worried as before. All I am asking for is a fruitful life that can be achieved in a quick, easy, and stress-free way. Is that too much to ask?

That is why I can relate to Phillip and Andrew in today’s Gospel. Christ and his disciples were welcomed into Jerusalem, with the fruits of Jesus’ ministry really beginning to blossom. Philip and Andrew were excited that people were lining up, asking to see Jesus. Their mission seemed to be gaining steam and the end goal was in sight. All of these achievements came in a quick, easy, stress-free way. However, when they approached Jesus with this excitement, Christ said that his two disciples have lost sight of His work, and in God’s work in the world. I often do as well. Phillip and Andrew were excited for visitors, but Christ knew that something much bigger was to take place in a few short days. God has a much different way of bringing about a fruitful life that we can imagine. While we would prefer to achieve things in an easy way, God and Jesus work in a much more different and challenging way: through death and resurrection.

Christ later compares his mission and ministry to a grain of wheat: “Unless a grain falls to the ground and dies, it remains just a grain of wheat/ but if it dies, it produces much fruit” (Jn 12:24). I think that it is natural in this Lenten season to reflect on the idea of death. It is, after all, one of the reasons for the season. The topic of death makes many people uncomfortable, with many of us not wanting to talk about it or think about it. But death is real, and we can learn a great lesson from the grain of wheat. Christ references dying in order to produce a better harvest. Just like the grain of wheat, He knows His death will lead to greater things for all of us. Dying for those all of us is certainly quite the opposite idea of a quick and easy way of doing things. However, in all of my healthy relationships, there are forms of sacrifice and death.

There are sacrifices my wife and I make in our marriage in order to have the most fruitful and loving relationship we can have together.

There are sacrifices I make as a parent in order to provide for my children.

There are sacrifices I make as a friend to have the healthiest and my positive relationships with my brothers and sisters.

What sacrifices do I need to make to ensure I am following the path of Christ to the best of my ability?

All relationships require the “death” or sacrifice of certain things to achieve a bountiful and blooming harvest in life. I am able to improve my relationships by the choices and in turn, become a better, more loving man. Christ teaches Andrew and Phillip that “whoever loves his life loses it…/whoever serves me must follow me, and where I am, there also will my servant be” (Jn 12:25-26). Following the path of a loving person in healthy loving relationships requires me to sacrifice in order to put those in my life ahead of me and my needs. That path is not an easy one to follow, and can be scary. However, that is what is required for a fruitful bountiful harvest in my life, and here in our world.

As Christ reminds us to conclude today’s Gospel reading, “when [He is] lifted from the earth, [He] will draw everyone to [Himself]” (Jn 12:32). We can take the difficult path, and do difficult things, because we have a loving and forgiving savior and Father, who will lead us. Just as a grain of wheat is able to spring new life and bring about a better and more bountiful harvest, Christ’s death and resurrection leads us accomplish great things. While it may not be a quick, easy and stress-free way to live, I know the payoff will be greater than I can ever imagine.

Author: Colin Hanley, Counseling Department

Comments

Popular Posts